Quick Links

Useful Links

The Brent Primary


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Mrs Tracie Butcher - Inclusion Manager

Every child at The Brent Primary School is an important and valued member of the school community. Class teachers take responsibility for the progress and well-being of all children within their class, meeting Government standards of teaching and learning. However, during their time here, some children may experience periods when extra support is required to help them to feel secure and make good progress. Early identification of needs is important, so the school works with parents and external professionals to ensure the most appropriate support is available for all children. If parents have any concerns about their child’s progress and well-being, they can discuss them initially with their child’s class teacher, then with the school’s Inclusion Manager, Mrs Tracie Butcher. We wish to work in partnership with you to ensure that your child’s needs are being met.

This school is committed to inclusion, striving to meet the needs of all pupils within his/her classroom environment, as far as possible. This is overseen the Inclusion Manager, in accordance with The Code of Practice 2014.

The Code of Practice 2014 encompassed the following changes:

The Code of Practice (2014) covers the 0-25 age range and includes guidance relating to disabled children and young people as well as those with SEND.
There is a clearer focus on the participation of children and young people and parents in decision-making at individual and strategic levels, with a stronger focus on high aspirations and on improving outcomes for children. This includes the early identification of SEND, and a graduated approach to planning appropriate support for children.

It gives details of the LEA Local Offer of support for children and young people with SEN or disabilities, as well as the joint planning and commissioning of services to ensure close co-operation between education, health and social care.

For children and young people with more complex needs a co-ordinated assessment process and the new 0-25 Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) replace statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs).


The Inclusive Practice Policy can be viewed following this link.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer gives details of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEND and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEND as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

Parents can access the website following this link.

What will it do?

The Kent framework will allow the Local Offer to provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents/ carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings.

Complaints procedure for SEN Pupils

All SEN complaints must follow the school's formal complaints procedure.  We encourage parents to discuss their concerns, firstly with the class teacher and school's SENCo, Mrs Tracie Butcher and then the Headteacher to try to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the Governing Body.

Managing parental complaints related to SEN (any of the following may apply):

  • The SEN governor is consulted.
  • External advice may be sought.
  • Key legislation regarding the matter is identified.
  • Good levels of communication with the parents/carers are maintained throughout the process.
  • Meetings with the parents/carers are arranged, perhaps involving a mediator such as parent support.
  • Key issues are identified including where there is agreement.
  • Discussions should take place with the SENCO.
  • Reports provided by outside agencies should be considered.

If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the Governing Body it can then be taken to the Education Funding Agency.